Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"I didn't think I was that close"

Operating large things is not easy, especially when vision is limited and the 'thing' is going in reverse.
Unfortunately I learned from my own mistakes. And thankfully no one got hurt and the damage was not too bad. I was backing one tractor trailer in beside another one and got too close. A bracket on the one slid along and sliced the trailer tarp on the other. Damage? 1 Really big hole in the tarp and my pride.

So this is what I spent the last two days doing. Replacing the old with the new.

Surveying the damage of the old tarp after it is off the trailer.

After removing the old tarp, I cut the good piece off to save for future use.


The new tarp came in a gunny sack all nicely rolled up and clean.
Unrolling the new tarp.

On each side of the tarp is a pipe that slides into sleeves at each edge. I made double sure the tarp was oriented correctly as I really didn't want to do it twice.I then rolled it up and lifted it onto the top of the trailer.
I spread it out across the trailer, making sure it was the right size and fit well. I also made sure to support this side so it didn't slide off onto the ground.


The stationary side is held in place by these brackets. The clamps pinch tight enough to hold the pipe, but have a gap for the tarp to fit through.

The clamps also double as stops to keep the tarp from falling off the edge when it is rolled to the open position (The tarp is not installed in this picture)
The roll side has the tarp screwed to the pipe using these washers and screws. Screwing the tarp to the pipe prevents the pipe from slipping in the tarp sleeve when rolling it up.

Installing the hand crank onto the roll pipe. The hand crank reaches to the ground and allows the operator to unroll/roll the tarp without climbing up onto the trailer.
And finally the finished product,
Road ready once again.


And this is what was on my mind,
distracting me from backing the truck (which caused the initial damage).





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really cute dog!
(Just kidding!)

Anonymous said...

Diden't you read Kevin Yoder's blog on focusing all your mental ability on what your doing? Bad things happen when you don't, and in both cases a female was the distraction. Father Yoder