Sunday, February 25, 2007

Who'll bid me.....SOLD!

It was the first tractor I drove, and the same one I learned to back wagons with.
Or the elevator that carried the thousands of straw bales up to the mow from the wagon.
The wagons also went, the one that had the funny end gate and the annoying bars that we always tripped over. When we sheared the sheep we loaded the wool onto a cart, it also was on the bill. the three wheelers, the old baler that was broke more than it worked, the combine that was older than I was, the 'mini' (which was actually the biggest of the fleet) which almost ran away down the hill with me and the other equipment that introduced me to farming.

This past Saturday Grandpa auctioned off all of his farm equipment, even down to the cans of nuts and bolts that lived in the shop. I can't say it was really that 'hard' to see everything get sold but there was clearly a sense of history and nostalgia. It would be interesting to follow each piece to its new home and see how it fits into the operation there. No doubt each piece will make many more memories, but at different farms with different people.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

did you see my brother there? He said he saw you but I thought he must have mistaken Zachary for you.